Old November 12th 03, 07:37 PM
Alicia

Default Anyone think I shouldn't name my daughter Hypatia Artemis? Othersuggestions?

Hello Andrea, I remember you mentioning these names some time ago on MKP I
think. You must be getting close to your due date now...
I wanted to mention a few things regarding your choice of names:

Firstly, I think it is a wonderful thing to name a child something unique
and special, especially when it has a strong meaning to it.

Second, I knew a very bubbly petite girl in grade 5 by the name of Hermione,
she was very friendly but was teased mercilessly for her name. I felt so
terrible for her. (If only the Harry Potter empire had been around back
then!) Even my son, whose name is Raine gets quite a few raised eyebrows
and people pulling back from him with a frown like there is something
strange about him. : / Even as I was growing up my name was considered
unusual. (I hated it LOL ) I think that an unusual name will always have
people questioning, but perhaps one that can be spelled or pronounced fairly
easily wouldn't be so challenging to live with.
If you are inclined to check into historical names that belong to strong
women, perhaps Celtic names? I think there was a strong base of
druidic/pagan followers who worshiped a goddess, there are bound to be names
in a society where women are held up as powerful creators. Norse mythology
might yield some good names too, though the only one that comes to my mind
is Freya, the goddess of Love. I don't recall whether she had a mate or
not.
Well, whatever you choose, I would like to hear what you decide! Good luck
Andrea,
-Alicia