Old November 12th 03, 08:14 PM
Rosalie B.

Default Anyone think I shouldn't name my daughter Hypatia Artemis? Other suggestions?

x-no-archive:yes

"gale" wrote:

"Peggy Tatyana" wrote in message
As for being bothered by one's name, or teased, I think that's simply not
something that can be predicted in advance. Girls, especially, tend not to
be bothered so much by unusual names as boys. Naming my older daughter
Aspen, horrified _my_ mother. (I'm guessing she thought of people calling
her "Assie" -- which no one ever has.) But I gave her a "normal" middle
name, which she could use if "Aspen" turned out to be too weird for her.
Aspen thinks, BTW, that "Artemis" is a wonderful name.

Another thing to keep in mind is that "Hypatia" would be a name that would
demand an explanation. People will always be saying, "That's an

interesting
name! Where does it come from?" And Hyaptia as a historical figure simply
isn't well-known enough for people to appreciate what you mean by it.

Following up on Patty's comments: my unusual name, which was one I was
teased about for years as a child, has become something I really treasure
and find to be a real asset in business. My life went from "chicken ala
king" and "aulie aulie umcumfree" to "Aula called" I don't have to give a
phone number or say *which* Aula called, there is just one of me, at least
in Florida [my Mom, another Aula, is in a New England state]. And, for what
it is worth, nearly every name is given to teasing at some point by someone
just because kids tease kids about anything which they can think of. The

I was teased about my LAST name as a child. And I appreciate having
an unusual name although it is hard to get people not to call me
Rosanne or Rosemary or Rosie or some other variation.

grandma Rosalie