Old April 27th 07, 03:03 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Nikki

Default latch agony

"emilymr" wrote in message
oups.com...
My question is will that just make him lazy and rely on the pumped-up
nipples? Or is it OK to do that and hope that in a few days he'll
figure out how to do it himself? And any tips on getting him to open
up wider and get his tongue positioned properly? It's so bad that I'm
actually reluctant to nurse -- toe-curling agony.

Wow. I'm sorry I was sore and there was some actual pain but nothing
like that and no cracks :grimace: I'm not sure about the pumping part but
my guess is that it would be OK. Once he's bigger and stronger you won't
need to worry about it. I would pop my babies on when they opened their
mouth to cry. Or I'd tickly their chin in the hopes they'd open up. I'd
redo it if I didn't think they were on right. I often had to reach under
and flange out their lower lip.

Good luck and I hope it corrects itself soon!! Congratulations

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99