Old November 17th 03, 08:22 PM
lynn

Default Breast feeding letdown reflex question.

In article 1Y7ub.416103$9l5.399225@pd7tw2no, "na" wrote:

How do I have a (letdown) before I nurse? I have trouble doing it. I do it
while I nurse but not usually until I switch breasts... On the first breast
I never get that full and emptying feeling.

I have heard that you should just think about feeding your baby but that
doesnt work for me because I hate breast feeding. I prefer bottle feeding
but I know whats best for my son so I just do it... any advice would be very
helpful.

You don't do it on purpose. It just happens as you nurse. The baby's
nursing triggers letdown, but you might not even feel it. I hardly ever
felt letdown, but I was clearly making milk. Is the baby getting milk?
Do you hear swallowing sounds? Then it's all working.

Give the nursing thing time. I think you just had the baby last week?
It'll get more comfortable, until you hardly need to think about it, but
at first it can sure seem awkward.

Once you've got the mechanics of nursing down (e.g. the baby's latching
on correctly), the best thing is probably just to relax while he nurses.
If thinking about feeding the baby does it, that's great, but if not,
try a different way of relaxing. Turn on the TV and take your mind off
nursing, let the baby suck while you watch your favorite sitcom. I
watched a lot of TV, or chatted on the phone, while baby nursed.

- lynn