Old November 17th 03, 10:27 PM
HollyLewis

Default Breast feeding letdown reflex question.

oh ok, well in still sort of new to the world of breast feeding... I just
notice that my breasts are 'relatively' empty when I start on one side, and
while i nurse on one side I feel the letdown and my other side fills up. I
guess I shouldnt worry about how full they feel and just pay attention to
how many times he swallows.

Wrong again! I am now picturing you sitting there trying to count
swallows....what a recipe for frustration! :-)

Sure, it's good to try to determine whether the baby is swallowing, because
that's one sign you've got a proper latch going. But it isn't always easy to
tell. And, of course, at this stage, even pure comfort sucking (when the baby
is latched on and sucking a bit but not swallowing much) is all to the good --
it helps bring your milk in and establish your supply.

Let your baby nurse whenever he seems hungry, and whenever he is fussy for no
other reason you can determine. Let him continue nursing until he falls asleep
or lets go, and then offer the other side. (He may or may not take it; either
way is normal.) Don't watch the clock, don't count swallows, and don't worry!
:-)

IF you should have any concerns about whether your baby is getting enough milk,
the first thing you do is count diapers. You don't get output without input.
For the first week, baby should have at least the number of soaking wet diapers
each day as he is days old, and thereafter it should be 6-8 per day. You
should also see the meconium transitioning to softer, more yellow poop soon.

But low supply problems really are quite rare. Don't freak out when you stop
feeling your breasts "fill", which typically happens somewhere around 6 weeks.
That's normal and all it means is that your body is switching over from
hormonally-driven oversupply to a better regulated supply=demand system.

Learning to breastfeed can be a really awful experience. Chances are you will
like it a whole lot better in another couple months, if not before. :-) Hang
in there.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs