Old November 18th 03, 05:14 PM
daisy

Default Breast feeding letdown reflex question.

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
daisy wrote:

IF you hate it so much, then maybe you should concider pumping. That

way he
gets your milk, but you dont have to breastfeed. I pump 6-7 times a day

for
10 minutes and the only time my son doesnt get breastmilk is his feeding
right before bed.

I know you don't have a choice in the matter, but I
would recommend against exclusive pumping if possible. Even
the best pumps aren't as efficient at regulating supply as
a baby is, so many women find that over the long haul they
just can't keep up despite their best efforts. Also, you
limit the ability of some of the cooler features of the
nursing relationship to work, e.g., the mix of foremilk to
hindmilk and the custom-tailored antibodies and such.
Using EBM is certainly beneficial, and it's fabulous that
you're able to do that under difficult circumstances, but
it lacks some of the benefits of actually nursing. Also, nursing
is likely to get easier and less distasteful to the OP
over time as well (and kudos to her for hanging in there
when it's not her favorite thing too), while pumping
just continues to be tedious and time-consuming.

Best wishes,
Ericka

I agree completely that its great that shes hanging in there. If Robbie
didnt have such a difficult time swallowing I would have as well, but he
couldnt get the suck swallow breath down which is probably why I didnt like
it too much, it was too frustrating to both of us.
I try not to think that pumping is tedious and time consuming because I
know that its worth it, Robbie is doing really well and I like to think its
because of my time spent pumping : ). Is it true that because I pump Im not
expressing the foremilk and hindmilk? if it is then how can I get that
milk? no one has explained that to me