Old November 24th 03, 08:55 PM
toypup

Default Drawing/Writing question

"iphigenia" wrote in message
P. Tierney wrote:
Is it generally advisable, when a child is in the early stages of
drawing, to teach or model what might be a proper way to hold a
pen/pencil/crayon? Or, is this something that they generally
figure out for themselves, making it best just to let them be? Thx.

I help DS (28 mos) with his grip only so far as to help him get better
control; e.g., I show him that holding the pencil closer to the point,
rather than six inches up, makes it easier for him : ) But I don't insist
that his fingers must be placed precisely the way I hold a pencil.

I don't actually remember anyone showing me how to hold a writing

implement;
either it was too early to recall or it was mostly based on modeling.

Really, I should think that any way a person holds a pen that gives them
comfort and control would be correct.

I started getting a crooked and calloused middle finger in college from
years of incorrectly holding my pen. It worsened then because I was writing
so much taking notes and writing papers. I altered the way I held my pen,
because I didn't want a permenantly disfigured hand and it took a few years,
but my hand is now normal. So, IME, there is an incorrect method that is
comfortable but may cause problems years down the road.