Old January 13th 08, 07:23 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
Kent Wills

Default Iowa DHS caseworker charged with PERJURY

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 20:40:49 -0800 (PST), Greegor
wrote:

On Jan 12, 10:22*pm, "LK" wrote:
It's a step in the right direction.

"fx" wrote in message

Social worker's perjury trial to start Wednesday

http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2...onal/cc9c3db41...

INDEPENDENCE --- The trial for a Buchanan County social worker charged
with three counts of perjury is slated to begin Wednesday.

Marie Mahler, 39, of Cedar Falls, is accused of filing three child welfare
reports with the courts between Aug. 27, 2004, and Oct. 7, 2004, that
contained false information.

Court documents state Mahler's reports included several misrepresentations
of conversations, events and relationships of people involved in a child
custody case between Denise Gander of Jesup and Allen Gardner of Tripoli.

The child-in-need-of-assistance case began in February 2004 after Gander's
two youngest children, a boy and a girl, tested positive for having
methamphetamine in their systems. The children were placed with relatives.

Meanwhile, Gander and Gardner began a legal battle for the girl, who is
Gardner's daughter. Mahler's reports were filed during this time period,
according to court documents.

Mahler is employed by the Iowa Department of Human Services and has had
her license since 1998. She has no record of disciplinary action,
according to the Iowa Bureau of Professional Licensing, and her license is
active.

State officials said it is unusual for a social worker to be charged with
perjury for information included in a report.

Perjury is a Class D felony punishable by up to five years in prison. The
trial is expected to last three days.

Hmm.. Iowa!

State motto: "We're *still* sorry about Vilsack. Honest."

It's unusual that a DHS CPS caseworker has a "license".

Since when?
Last I knew all needed to be licensed social workers. Have
the regulations for such changed recently?

What's the statute of limitations for this Kent?

Perjury has a SoL of seven years in the state of Iowa.
Since the alleged perjury occurred in 2004, the SoL hasn't
expired.
If your wondering about this in regards to your case, the SoL
has expired. You chose to do nothing and now there is nothing you can
do.

Misrepresentations about conversations and relationships?

How was THAT enough?

If the report was made under penalty of perjury, and it can be
proved BARD that she willingly submitted false information that rose
to the level of perjury, it would be enough.
Since she's going to trial, we can presume the county attorney
believes she committed perjury.

Kids tested positive for Meth, so WHY did this person LIE?

We can't know her motivation. Only she knows that. And this
presumes she did lie.
Being charged with a crime does not mean the person is
actually guilty of the crime.

FIVE YEARS in prison? Oh boy!

Up to five years. Actually, the way the law reads, No more
than five years, but I'm being picky. The end result is the same.

--
Kent
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons...