Old March 22nd 04, 09:29 PM
Welches

Default More School Issues (warning: VERY long!)

Circe wrote in message
Welches wrote:
I've just tested dh on 20 questions +/- up to #12. He's very, very
clever. And very mathematical. He could have got most places with
maths-just chose chemistry for some reason! He took 30 seconds on
these (+ got them all right). Okay, I didn't tell him he was under
time pressure, but I think that says something about the time spent
on them. Baring in mind writing, reading etc. is easy for dh, I
think 90 seconds for a 6 year old would be very good going.

Hmmm, well, I wouldn't go by what an adult could do. These kids are just
learning these facts; adults have been using them/acquainted with them for
many years. Also, adults read and write much more quickly than children.

I'm
sure *I* could do it within 30-60 seconds, but there are a *lot* of things
that I could do in 30-60 seconds that my son knows *how* to do (like write
2-3 simple sentences) that he couldn't do in twice the time in takes me.
I've had lots of practice; he hasn't.

Sorry, that came across totally opposite to what I meant:
I meant if dh took 30 seconds, I would expect it to be a very quick (and
very able too) 6 year old to manage to do it in 90 seconds. Dh also wasn't
under test conditions which makes it easier for him. I'll bet the teacher
makes a fuss about their handwriting in the test too (knowing infant
teachers) which dh would be peanalised on!! :-)

As I mentioned, my son isn't the only one who has had trouble with these
timed tests. So it's clearly not *necessarily* "easy going" for a 6yo. It
may be for some. I'm just not sure it's reasonable as the *only* test for
this particular skill. Maybe as *one* test, but I think there ought to be
other ways for the kids to prove competence.
--

I wouldn't think speed at this age for maths was any good as a test. A good
mathematician may not have the verbal/writing ability to get it across