Old October 20th 04, 03:07 AM
Ann Porter

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
o.com...

I know many people who are very keen in keeping religion out of the
schools, and generally, I'm one of them. But to my mind, there's a big
difference between religion being taught as state-sponsored propaganda,
and religion being taught as comparative religion, or within a cultural or
historical context, as was the case in what these kids did.

I'm curious as to what your reaction is to this, especially if you are of
the No Religion in the School mindset. I'm especially interested in your
reaction if you are English or Episcopalian.

Not English, not Epicopalian, but I agree with you wholeheartedly. I took a
world geography class in the 9th grade that had a unit on world religions
that I found very interesting.

Learning about a culture or a nation would include learning about the
dominant religions. Because the C of E is the state religion, I think it's
perfectly appropriate to talk about it in a cultural context.

Best,
Ann