Old July 15th 03, 03:30 AM
Catherine Woodgold

Default Help, advice, Please?

Catherine Woodgold ) writes:
However, if he were to get into a new routine of longer sleeps
every night and no nap, then perhaps after a couple of days of
settling into the routine, he might do better. Unfortunately
I don't know how to predict this without trying it -- which
might involve a lot of problems. It would be a leap of faith.

I suppose he's at some stage of shifting from needing a nap
to not needing a nap. I think a kid can be at a transition
phase: too old to take naps, but not quite old enough
to get along without the naps. Needing half a nap.
It can be a difficult stage. Some parents get through
this by waking them up after a short nap.

I apologize. I wrote that when I mistakenly thought I
had read that your son was 3 years old. Actually he's
almost 2. I doubt at his age that he would be ready
to give up a daily nap without problems (though I think
some kids do).

I have heard of children who refused to take naps
after being weaned, and were cranky. It can be
a difficult problem with ways of coping but no
easy answers. There are ways to get children to
sleep without breastfeeding, but they tend to
be a lot more difficult to put into practice.
--
Cathy