Old July 3rd 03, 02:37 AM
silvasurfa

Default Gotta keep it from The Children

"abacus" wrote in message
om...
"silvasurfa" wrote in message

. ..
"abacus" wrote in message
om...

Or
am I still clueless about your opinion?

I suspect you are, but I'm getting to the stage where I can't be bothered
explaining. Remain clueless.

And as for my opinion about smokers and smoking... banning smoking in

public
parks doesn't nearly go far enough. I wouldn't mind smoking banned in

public
places altogether. There are *plenty* of things that are banned in

public
because they are repulsive and nauseating, and smoking should be one of
them.

Just curious, aside from the air pollution issue which I don't
consider to be a legimate argument in an outdoor setting (if it were,
automobiles and charcoal grills could be banned), what argument can be
made against smoking in public versus breast feeding in public. Why
should one be allowed and not the other? After all, some people find
public breast feeding repulsive and nauseating.

The health issues associated with smoking adds to people's distress at
witnessing it... it is pretty much like watching someone drop their pants
and take a ****... it doesn't matter that they are ****ting onto a nice
plastic ziploc baggy that they will be tucking away in their tote bag and
taken home to dispose of... the activity is one that taps into deep seated
feelings about what is safe and what isn't, deep seated beliefs about
hygiene. Whereas breastfeeding in public is more like public gum chewing...
could be a bit icky and not appropriate at certain times, but it isn't going
to make anyone reasonable think of either cancer or gastroenteritis.

If you wanted a parenting analogy, smoking in public is like changing a
smelly ****ty nappy in public. People don't care that the parent is going to
clean up the mess, the wind is blowing the other way etc, that's ****** and
people don't want it intruding on their day or on any of their senses, or
indeed upon their sensibilities. Likewise with cigarette smoke... the stuff
can be lethal and it is offensive in the extreme. It is equivalent to ****.
They can do it at home, they can do it in private but keep it the **** away
from other people. Even if smokers reduce the actual risk to zero for other
people, the substance itself is offensive and distressing. Like drawing a
gun in public.