Old July 3rd 03, 06:19 PM
Penny Gaines

Default OT (wildly): photo tix and dropping the hammer was Gotta keep it from The Children

Dan Evans wrote in :

"CBI" wrote in message

Heck no. The vast majority of Americans have never worn pads or played in

an
organized game.

I'm stunned. In the UK, or at least in our area when I was at school, we
played the "national" sports, and when we played a sport, we played by
that sport governing bodies rules. Generally Rugby (winter term), Football
(Spring term) and Cricket (Summer term), though occasionally baseball,
basketball and tennis - and track and field got a look in as well during
the summer.

I'll join you in being stunned.

The games played at schools in the UK are the same as the games played
by adults who do them for a living. The only difference is the size of the
players and the skill level.

Over here we have pub/work football teams and the like, played by groups of
friends or colleagues against other people of a similar level. Ie by
amateurs who maybe practise once a week. Does this mean that there is no
equivalent in the US?

(FWIW five-a-side football is another popular game for amateur
competitions.)

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three