Old January 6th 04, 07:33 PM
Susan

Default birth control and bfing

Was it painful to insert the IUD? Also, did your insurance cover the
cost? How much do they cost? Do you pay the midwife practice or is it
like a prescription?

Thanks so much.
Susan

Circe wrote:

Susan wrote:

I have a 2 year old (nursed until he weaned himself at 15 months )
and an 11 week old.

My midwife suggested a Depo shot and I'm considering it but wanted to
ask you all. Does it interfere with b/fing at all? That's my primary
concern. Any complaints? Side effects? Pros?

Well, I have no experience with Depo, but I have to say that reviews I've
seen on this newsgroup have been far from positive. The primary complaints
I've seen are that it causes a lot of breakthrough bleeding and that it
seems to have a high associated with problems getting pregnant later.
Personally, it's not something I'd choose or recommend.

What I would recommend wholeheartedly for someone like you is an IUD. You
can get either the Mirena IUD, which has some progesterone in it that tends
to reduce the heavy periods associated with IUDs, or the Copper-T. I have a
Copper-T and love it. The great thing about IUDs is that, aside from
checking periodically to be sure the string is still where it should be, you
have it put in and then forget about it. I've had my Copper-T for nearly two
years now with no problems. Of course, some women DO have problems with them
(they don't stop bleeding after insertion or have very heavy/uncomfortable
periods), but for the majority who try them (something like 90%, I believe),
they are great.

If an IUD isn't for you, then I'd recommend mini-pills over Depo. Mini-pills
are birth control pills that contain only progesterone, and since it's the
estrogen that's associated with drops in milk supply, it does not interfere
with breastfeeding. The only down side to mini-pills is that they are less
"forgiving" than regular combination pills--you really have to take them
within the same three-hour window each day or their effectiveness drops
dramatically. (My second child came along rather ahead of schedule as a
direct result of this.)

Good luck deciding and I hope this helps!