Old November 21st 12, 09:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.kids,rec.running
Danny D.

Default A clever idea for dressing the ends of childeren's shoelaces athome

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 09:46:22 -1000, John Keiser wrote:

The end is called an "aglet."
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/agletrepair.htm

Interesting.

That aglet web page gives me an idea which isn't listed.

I'm going to try this "Brush-On Electrical Tape" right now on
my current pair of New Balance running shoes as shown below:

Note: The New Balance running shoes only seem to last a few
months before they're run ragged in the California chaparral!

For my hiking boots, I bought a hundred feet of 1,000 pound
test (IIRC) parachute cord from the Army Navy Surplus Store for
a couple of bucks and painstakingly sewed a web pattern on the
ends (and melted the tips) as shown in this photo below:

The problem with that parachute cord is that, for some strange
reason, parachute cord (whatever it's actually used for) acts
like a horrible magnet for thorns, burrs, and many other
unwanted bristley thorney grassey chaparral objects.

So if you guys know of a BETTER wide-lace alternative to this
parachute cord for Raichle hiking boots, please let me know
as I go through those rather long shoelaces at the rate of
a pair a year or so, hiking in the California chaparral.