Old October 15th 04, 10:54 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
"Cathy Kearns" wrote:

"firedancer623" wrote in message
news:xpWbd.309$EL5.129@trndny09...

"newfy.1" wrote in message

"firedancer623" wrote in message
news:gKUbd.441$Ug4.389@trndny01...
Please no reponses how it's my duty as a US
citizen, heh, I've wanted to leave this country for years now (can't
convince dh)

Well, then I guess I can't comment...seriously though, you get the

summons
very far in advance. I cannot imagine that a person can't find ANY
childcare
in the time that passes when you receive the summons to the time that

the
date comes up.

That's good to know. For some reason, I was under the impression that I'd
get a summons and then have to start the next week. If I had to, I could
have my mom come up for a few days and hopefully that would be enough time
otherwise, my husband would probably have to take personal time off work.

Certainly here in Santa Clara, CA that's how it works, but you don't get
the notice that sometime this year you'll be picked. Here there is also a
box to check that gets you off if you are a care giver for others (children,
elderly) which even counted for school aged kids. I remember checking
that when my kids were in 1st grade or so. Last time I was called my
husband wasn't working (taking a sabbatical) so I went.

Well I have a few medical issues which I've heard can also cause a

dismissal
since one is anxiety related.

In the courts I've served that has a decent chance of getting you excused,
but
you have to show up one day to tell the judge.

I highly doubt
I'll get chosen because, as noted in the first post, I dont hold much

regard
for our government and the judicial system. Im sure that will come across

if
I make it that far.

This one is tricky. I've seen many people use this excuse, and I have yet
see a judge just send them home. They always get a very public tongue
lashing by the judge. They may or may not get excused from that
particular case. If they are excused they are then sent back to the pool to
get
to try again in another case with another judge. If they aren't they
probably
won't get on the case, but they need to show up everyday for a week
until the lawyers have a chance to dismiss them without cause. I have heard
of one case where the judge offered to revoke their citizenship and deport
them
immediately. That's one way to push your husband into moving...

Some of this will also vary depending upon WHICH court your are being
called to. There are differences between federal and state laws, and
(of course) between the various state's laws.

In Mass, you were called for one day or one trial.

Here in CA, you are called for a week -- but you phone in each evening
to find out whether or not you have to turn up the next day.
Personally, I find that week pretty aggravating, and would prefer to
have one day where I KNOW I'm going to have to show up instead of having
to keep everything critical on hold for a full week. So far, I've had
two weeks where I never had to show up, and one where I showed up for a
day and got as far as the courtroom, but my number never got high enough
to make it into the jury box.

Growing up, I somehow figured 3 things would make me a growup: donating
blood, serving on a jury, and voting.

I had hepatitis when I was 15, so they don't want my blood.

I've never served on a jury -- I still hope to one day.

I DO vote regularly -- so I supposed I'm only 1/3 grownup.