Old November 18th 03, 02:15 AM
Akuvikate

Default Yet another "ready for solids?"

(Elizabeth Reid) wrote in message . com...

There was also some sort of study (recounted in 'Parasite Rex', and
I don't know any more of it than that) that argued that it's not
just bacteria, it's other intestinal parasites that we're missing
in some autoimmune disorders at least. I don't know this absence has
an effect on allergies but I wouldn't be surprised.

Beth

Haven't seen such studies myself, but the type of immune reaction in
allergies (Th2 cells) are the same ones used against parasites, where
the more common Th1 cells are the main defense against bacteria and
viruses. I may have it backwards, but basically the same arm of the
immune system is responsible for both allergies and fighting off
parasites.

Kate
and the Bug June 8 2003