Old June 23rd 06, 02:52 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated

Default pre-teen motivation

These are all really great ideas!! Thank you! My DD and DS are only 5
and 2 right now but it's encouraging to know that they can grow up to
be happy healthy kids with interests beyond TV and video games.

I like that all of the suggestions let the child lead and follow their
interests. I think that is a very important piece to learning and
self-confidence. Not to mention having fun too!

Thanks again, I will print these out and use them for future reference!

Scott L wrote:
wrote:
What are some ways to enrich education through the summer without be
boring. This is for the age group 12-14 boys. I know going to the
library is one way.

Let me put in a plug for not shying away from being bored.
Schedule a day where nothing is on the schedule, and mandate
no screen time. See what happens.

Otherwise, I would focus on outdoor things that can't be
done other times of year -- gardening, sailing/canoeing/rowing,
camping. Note that learning these things will require
significant time on your part as well. Spend a day to teach
them how to get around town without a car, be it by bike,
bus, subway, whatever.

DS and DD usually spend the summer reading. DS is taking
fencing as well, and they both swim. DS has also been inventing
his own written language. DD spends a lot of time on friends'
boats, learning how to sail.

Scott DD 12 and DS 10