Old January 4th 08, 04:37 PM posted to misc.kids
deja.blues

Default math facts practice is boring

"Donna Metler" wrote in message

"deja.blues" wrote in message

"Beliavsky" wrote in message
On Jan 2, 4:59 pm, "Stephanie" wrote:
"Beliavsky" wrote in message

Math facts have been set to a rap music beat. "2 times 1 is 2, 2 times
2 is 4" (but it's much more fun to listen to the actual song). My 4yo
son has actually requested that we play such a CD, after he heard it
the first time. You can Google "multiplication table rap music".

Rap is not music and children should not be exposed to it in any
capacity.

The formal definition of music that I learned in university classes is "An
organized compression and rarefaction of the liquid medium of the air". An
unpitched composition for percussion, body percussion, or even found
instruments (such as STOMP) is still music. And, by that definition, so is
rap.

My bias is showing. If it helps a kid learn math, go ahead and use it.
I just find it hard to divorce rap from its unsavory connotations.
Music is in the ear of the listener, eh?