Old April 29th 04, 09:10 PM
Amy

Default "Dental X-rays may harm unborn babies"

Actually, it's been believed that one-time, minor X-ray exposure isn't
particularly harmful. Dental X-rays with lead shielding of the abdomen

were
thought to be pretty safe. As a matter of CYA, dentists would usually ask
and avoid if possible, but there weren't any studies that really said one
exposure would be harmful. This study has shown a correlation between one
dental xray in the first trimester and low (although not _very_ low)
birthweight. I question whether they have accounted for the what effects
the reason for the xray may have had on the pregnancy. Meaning, what if
women who have dental problems (thus necessitating an xray) have lower
birthweight babies due to infections, etc., and the xray correlation is a
result of that? The study postulates that the dental xray may cause minor
changes in the thyroid functioning, thus causing lower birthweight,

although
that's just speculation I think.

Amy V.

I've got a dental appointment on the 6th May that I was on something like an
8 month waiting list for, to discuss options for my wisdom teeth. My dentist
took x-rays of them before I became pregnant. If they want to take more,
would you refuse? I'm 30 weeks in a couple of days, don't know how safe
x-rays are at this stage.