Old October 16th 03, 08:09 PM
Kevin Karplus

Default POLL: Math questions regarding upper elementary school (xpost to m.k.)

In article , Robyn Kozierok wrote:
Have you as a parent ever heard of a stem and leaf plot?

From where did you learn about this? At what age?

Not until my son learned it (and I have a math degree, fwiw)

I learned about stem-and-leaf plots about 1985 from Edward Tufte's
beautiful book "The Visual Display of Quantitative Information".
I did NOT get stem-and-leaf plots in school or college, but I was in
theoretical math and computer science, neither of which are very
concerned with the display of data.

I routinely use stem-and-leaf plots to present histograms of grades to
my classes. I generally have to explain them the first time I use
them, as they still are not commonly known to college stuents.

They are a handy, but rather minor tool in data display. I would not
consider them an essential part of elementary education.

--
Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
Professor of Computer Engineering, University of California, Santa Cruz