Old October 16th 03, 10:01 PM
Kevin Karplus

Default Graphs and US math standards (was poll)

In article , H Schinske wrote:
wrote:

btw, you probably already know this, but stem-and-leaf plots are
listed in the NCTM standards under Data Analysis and Probability
for grades 6-8 which is why so many "newer" curricula introduce them:

I was really amazed at
http://t3.preservice.org/T0210285/in...ionalgoals.htm
, which states "Although circle graphs are usually not taught by fifth grade,
as Pothier and Nickerson explain in their article titled "Our Heritage:
Learning Data-Management Skills Meaningfully", many students will still express
interest. For example, in their data analysis project on family heritage,
Nickerson found that her fifth graders "had made such good progress in their
ability to draw bar graphs" and the interest level was so high, that
introducing circle graphs did not cause any extra stress."

Now, a circle graph (I looked it up) is nothing more or less than our old
friend the pie chart. The idea that fifth-graders should have any trouble
WHATSOEVER with the idea of a pie chart is causing ME some stress! Not to
mention that they had "made such good progress" in drawing bar graphs.
AAAAAAACCCCCKKKKK!

Our school (a middling-rated public California school) starts bar
charts in kindergarten, so I would expect 5th graders to be able to
do them in their sleep.

--
Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
Professor of Computer Engineering, University of California, Santa Cruz