Old October 16th 03, 10:13 PM
Robyn Kozierok

Default POLL: Math questions regarding upper elementary school (xpost to m.k.)

In article ,
Kevin Karplus wrote:
In article , Robyn Kozierok wrote:
Have you as a parent ever heard of a stem and leaf plot?

From where did you learn about this? At what age?

Not until my son learned it (and I have a math degree, fwiw)

I learned about stem-and-leaf plots about 1985 from Edward Tufte's
beautiful book "The Visual Display of Quantitative Information".
I did NOT get stem-and-leaf plots in school or college, but I was in
theoretical math and computer science, neither of which are very
concerned with the display of data.

My degree was theoretical ("pure") math and CS as well. But I did
have 2 (required) semesters of probability and statistics

--Robyn