Old August 12th 03, 05:48 PM
Doug

Default DCF CT monitor finds kids *worsen* while in state custody

rates of abuse and neglect in foster care, Kane cited a 1998 article in
another newspaper from the state, stating:

Here's the straight skinny:

http://old.hartfordadvocate.com/articles/dcf2.html

Loving Parents, Safe Homes
Taking children out of unsafe homes is one thing; finding suitable
places to put them is another.
By Jayne Keedle
The two newest members of Jannette Santiago's family arrived on the
doorstep of her neat Waterbury condominium one evening last November.

I responded to Kane's post, thanking him for the article and pointing out
other articles from the same newspaper. Kane responds:

Your assumption, throughout this reply of yours constantly attempts to
show me as being one sided. If that were true why would I post
information that showed both sides?

Hi, Kane!

That Kane did not post information showing "both sides" was my point. He
cited and posted a single, outdated article about a foster caregiver. I
then responded pointing out links to articles about CPS in that same
newspaper.

You are waaaaaaaaaay to obvious, Dougy.

Well, Kane should have looked at the bottom of the page showing his article
and he would have seen the links himself. I don't know whether he still
would have posted and cited the story or not, but the combination of stories
done by the Connecticut newspaper around 1998 was very informative. Under
federal court supervision, CPS was attempting to reform its practices and
its foster care system.

One of the pertinent points to the thread is that the August, 2003, article
that prompted the discussion indicates that little progress has been made in
seven years. In 2003, rates of child abuse and neglect in Connecticut's
foster care system were ten times that in the general population (see
article in first post to this thread).

I will respond further to Kane's post shortly, time permitting.