Old June 17th 06, 12:46 PM posted to misc.kids

Default What's the impact of dressing our children as adults?

toto wrote:

On 16 Jun 2006 02:54:57 -0700, "sha68"
wrote:

I am in the UK and our children are still in school until the end of
july, have the kids in the states finished for the summer? the reason i
ask is the original message came from a teacher just wondering how
she/he is getting so much time to post? just a thought that occured to
me (apologies if you are on maternity leave or something)

Most schools in the US get out at the end of May or beginning or
middle of June. I don't know anyplace where schools go into July
unless they miss a lot of days and have to make them up.

Or unless it is a year round school of some kind.

IIRC the school year has to be at least 180 days long but it can be
distributed however the local school board decides to do it.

The UK and European model appears to be more or less the same as what
parents have for leave - everyone goes on vacation in August. That's
not normally the way we do it here.

Generally US schools start at the middle or end of August or beginning
of September and (as Dorothy said) we go to the end of May or the
first couple weeks in June. The ending date is determined by the
starting date and the number of days that we are out for inclement
weather.

We get off two days for Thanksgiving in November, from about December
15th to the 2nd of January, and usually there is also a spring break
sometime in the spring. Sometimes the spring break is reduced or
canceled if we have a lot of snow days. Then there are various other
three day weekends (President's Day in Feb, Memorial Day in May, Labor
Day in Sept.).

Locally, there are or were some accommodations made so that the local
farm boys can have a couple of days off the harvest the tobacco (which
is not mechanized), and we also have a day off for the local county
fair in September.