Old July 15th 06, 01:08 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
tami

Default my baby refuses to eat solids

thanks for your response, anne!
yes, he mouths toys, not very often, though, just very selectively.
perhaps the metal window opener that he detaches when he opens the
window...or his shoe...yes, i think i will try teething
biscuits...perhaps those big solid things would be far more attractive
than mushy avocado and applesauce!
will keep you posted thanks again.

Anne Rogers wrote:
"tami" wrote in message
Hello, i am a concerned mother...i have been breastfeeding my baby
exclusively and he is about to turn a year old in about two weeks. the
thing is he still refuses solids. just putting a bit of applesauce or
avocado or rice on his lips makes him dry heave like he is so grossed
out that he wants to vomit. i am worried as his growth is quite slow.
he is about 69 cm (i admit we are short people in the family though).
has anyone had any similar situation?

does he "mouth" toys, most children of this age put everything in their
mouths, he he's not doing this I would see if you can assess other
developmental things to see if he has a delay

if he is mouthing is toys then just give him solid food that he can mouth
too, it might be that he just has no idea what you are waving this spoon at
him for and that if he can get used to tastes and the idea of eating he may
become more willing to be fed with a spoon. Both our children seemed to be
like this, started initially on finger foods, but learnt to be spoon fed
later, once they understood there was a reason for it and there was
something good on the end of the spoon!

Anne