Old August 26th 06, 12:00 PM posted to misc.kids
Aula

Default How to tie shoelaces

"Chookie" wrote in message
How the heck do you teach a child to do it? DS1 is 5 1/2 yo. Tried this
morning, again. He couldn't/wouldn't even copy holding the laces 5cm from

the
thumb knot (the knot you make to start), let alone *make* the thumb knot.
Fortunately his school shoes have velcro -- a deliberate choice by me!

At what age do kids typically learn to tie their shoelaces? And how do

you
teach it?

Ds was at least five or six when he got it down. We finally separated it
from shoes and used a small diameter rope tied to the back of the dining
room chair. He was able to more easily see what he was doing, the rope was
larger and easier to handle [don't use nylon rope as it is slippery and
doesn't hold knots as nicely] and he could stand or sit as he chose.
Several days of prescribed practicing were used after he got it so he could
develop more confidence. The bunny ear method others describe is the most
common i've heard of. There are, however, on line sources with many other
methods, some of which result in quicker tied knots.

-Aula