Old August 26th 06, 05:45 PM posted to misc.kids
L.

Default How to tie shoelaces

Chookie wrote:
How the heck do you teach a child to do it? DS1 is 5 1/2 yo. Tried this
morning, again. He couldn't/wouldn't even copy holding the laces 5cm from the
thumb knot (the knot you make to start), let alone *make* the thumb knot.
Fortunately his school shoes have velcro -- a deliberate choice by me!

At what age do kids typically learn to tie their shoelaces?

IME, 6-7.

And how do you
teach it?

I used to work at the kid's drop off at a YMCA. This is one thing I
taught to the kids because I had 1-1.5 unstructured hours with each of
them every day, so I looked for positive ways to use that time.

I used the "Here's the tree, the rabbit runs around the tree and into
the hole" method.

-l.