Old September 24th 03, 02:57 AM
Sharon Bailey Glasco

Default fruit juices for babies versus adults ( solids)

"Circe" wrote in message news:Wp3cb.1258$hp5.12@fed1read04...
"ted" wrote in message
om...
From what point can babies be given regular "adult" fruit juices? Are
there any additives in these I need to be avoid? What brands and what
kinds (apple, pear etc) do you give your babies?

You can start giving juice any time after introducing the corresponding
whole fruits (so you wouldn't want to give juice of allergenic fruits like
oranges or strawberries until after age one). That said, fruit juice is
little more than vitamin-fortified sugar water, it's *very* bad for teeth
(the acids in fruit juice can really do a number!), and the whole fruit is
considerably more nutritious. Given that, there's really no good reason to
introduce juice at all--it's better to give them water so they get used to
drinking that when they are thirsty and give them whole fruits to eat
instead.

Very good advice. The only exception to this that I would add is that
if your child is allergic to dairy products (as mine is) calcium
fortified orange juice is a godsend. It is one of the few sources of
calcium that DS will willingly consume (an even then, he refused to
drink it, or any juice for that matter, until he was 2 1/2). That
said, he only gets 4-5 oz. first thing in the morning, and no more the
rest of the day (unless he is sick). In general, he prefers water to
anything else, fortunately.

Sharon
Mom to James 6.2.00
EDD #2 5 December