Old September 24th 03, 02:25 PM
Naomi Pardue

Default fruit juices for babies versus adults ( solids)

Fruit juice for babies is IMHO completely a marketing gimmick to sell juice
at a rediculous price.

Actually, I found the little bottles to be very handy for tossing in the diaper
bag when we were going out. Much more conventient, and less wasteful, than
putting in a whole half gallon jug of OJ...

IMHO the same goes for all baby foods; there are
suitable non-baby choices at a much lower price point across the board, if
you are willing to mash or grind.

But again, not so conveneint. Many people are entirely willing to pay a small
premium for convenience, whether it is for food for our baby OR for ourselves.
(And, esp. when you are feeding a very young baby, who still needs to be on a
fairly limited diet [due to the need to add new foods one at a time for several
days to watch for allergies] it really ISN"T so convenient to just toss your
own dinner in the grinder and feed it to the baby -- and yeah, you can cook up
a batch of carrots, freeze them in the ice cube tray -- but then if you find
that baby doesn't like carrots, or is allergic, you've wasted a lot of time and
effort. Why *not* just buy a jar of baby carrots, see if baby likes them and
can tolerate them, and then, if he does, by all means cook up some yourself.

Few of us would believe a diet where all our vegetables
are cooked into oblivion and then canned is as nutritious as one where we
use fresh or frozen.

Evidence that baby foods are 'cooked into oblivion' before being pureed and
jarred?
Yeah, frozen is probably fresher, but, unless you grow your own veggies, the
stuff in the jars is probably actually fresher than the veggies that have been
sitting on your grocery store shelves for several days/weeks.

Baby food should be seen as a
convenience item only.

Right. It is. And since most babies are only on it for a few months anyway,
why not go with the convenience, IF YOU CHOOSE for those few short months, and
then move on. The total different in grocery cost is going to be negligible.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)