Old October 25th 10, 08:08 PM posted to misc.kids,sci.med,misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health
[email protected]

Default How Doctors Use (Or Should Use) Vitamin Therapy

In article m,
carole wrote:

What is the nutrient silica / silicon dioxide good for? How is it used
in the human body?
For starters it stops underarm odour which obviously isn't natural, and
isn't a sign of good health.

On the contrary, underarm odor contains pheromones which convey sexual
and social information between adults. Note that children don't need
underarm deodorants -- these pheromones are produced only beginning with
puberty, and underarm hair helps spread the messages.

The frequently noted phenomenon of menstrual cycles synchronizing among
women who live closely together is mediated by pheromones in underarm
sweat.

Note also that people who live together share the bacteria that produce
some of the odors from sweat and develop a common scent which helps
identify family and outsiders. We're much less aware of these things than
people in cultures where individuals spend more time closer together and
are less obsessed with suppressing scents, but they've been important
in human social organization since our primate ancestors and before,
as they are in other mammals.

In our culture, we prefer to suppress these odors when among strangers to
avoid pheromone effects. There's also a cultural aspect that identifies
clean, odorless people who have resources and leisure to remain so as
superior to the 'unwashed masses', even though even poor people have
access to showers in developed countries these days. Those few outcasts
who don't are further despised for their odor.