Old August 23rd 05, 01:23 AM
Rosalie B.

"Clay" wrote:

I was recently offered a job over 1300 miles away but I'm not going to
move there. I want the job and my family understands, but I've never
been in a situation with a "1000-mile commute". I have one
six-year-old. This job would allow me to save money so I can spend more
time with him when he's older. I know people that have done this
successfully, and I live very close to the airport so I won't spend
more time flying per week than I currently spend on the road.
Nevertheless, I will be away on weeknights but there's a theory that's
not worse than working late on weeknights? But of course this is
perhaps an awful way to go about life.

Advice?

Lots of people have long distance jobs. My dh was military and
sometimes was deployed for longer intervals - several months up to a
year. My ds was a long haul trucker and only got home every other
weekend. My dd's husband was in school in Michigan and she was
working out of Miami airport. She commuted by air taking her under 2
yo child with her for a year. It can be dealt with provided that
everyone involved (specifically the child's other parent) is REALLY on
board with it.

That means that the SAHP has to be willing and able to do all the
parenting during the week, and then let you have a say on the
weekends. IOW, there shouldn't be competition between the parents for
the child's attention, or feelings of being put-upon because of one
parent's absence.

grandma Rosalie