Old August 26th 05, 01:08 PM
Hillary Israeli

In . com,
Clay wrote:

*I was recently offered a job over 1300 miles away but I'm not going to
*move there. I want the job and my family understands, but I've never
*been in a situation with a "1000-mile commute". I have one
*six-year-old. This job would allow me to save money so I can spend more
*time with him when he's older. I know people that have done this
*successfully, and I live very close to the airport so I won't spend
*more time flying per week than I currently spend on the road.
*Nevertheless, I will be away on weeknights but there's a theory that's
*not worse than working late on weeknights? But of course this is
*perhaps an awful way to go about life.

When I was 14 or 15 years old, my dad "commuted" from a suburb of
Philadelphia, PA to a job in Stockton, CA that he "couldn't turn down". He
had an apartment in Stockton, and he would stay there for 10 days, and
then come "home" for 4 days (Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon). He *hated* it, and as soon
as he got my mom to agree, they moved to CA. Of course, mom's initial
theory that she could never be happy "so far from home" was correct, and
almost exactly a year later he quit the job and they moved back home to
the Philadelphia area. Obviously YMMV....

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth