Old June 23rd 06, 12:55 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated

Default Making a change

Elizabeth King wrote:
My daughter has been taking gymnastics at the same gym for 5 1/2 years
now. We are thinking of changing gyms because the class that works with
my daughter's schedule has a coach that she really doesn't like.

My daughter can't or won't explain why she doesn't like this coach. In
general, we've been happy with this gym. I believe the quality of
instruction is higher there than at the gym we'd be moving to (which is
where she does rhythmic gymnastics, and is a much more convenient
drive).

There is one other class at her level that she doesn't have a direct
conflict with (and that ends before 8:30 PM), but that would leave her
with no days this summer without planned activities-- we planned swim
lessons around Tuesday being her completely free day.

Do I tell the gym why we are leaving? Since I can't give specifics (and
I've tried asking DD. I just get tears.) I don't expect them to do
anything about it unless it is part of a pattern.

How old is your daughter? 10? 16? Would she feel comfortable
writing down what's bothering her about the coach, and having
you read it when she is not around? Is it possible she's just
burning out -- and using the coach hatred as an excuse?

If you leave, just say your daughter doesn't like the coach.
If they ask why, tell the truth: You don't know.

Scott DD 12.95 and DS (who is sick today ) 10