Old June 25th 06, 12:11 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated

Default Making a change

"Paula" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 17:04:57 EDT, dragonlady
wrote:

In article ,
"Elizabeth King" wrote:

If you leave, just say your daughter doesn't like the coach.
If they ask why, tell the truth: You don't know.

Thanks. My personal inclination would be to tell them that we're taking
the summer off (which could be true), and then just never come back :-),
but that's probably not the best way to handle it.

Actually, I think that IS a good way to handle it.

If your daughter were being specific about what she doesn't like about
the coach, it might be helpful for him/her to have that feedback -- but
since she is not being specific, I see nothing to be gained by telling
them you are changing because she doesn't like the coach!

I disagree. As a school counselor, I work a lot with kids who have
been victims of abuse. Often, the first indication we get that
something is going on is vague. They just don't want to be with them
or seem somewhat uncomfortable, but they will not say exactly why. The
more kids you hear of who feel this way, the more likely that what is
going on will be discovered. I am not saying this coach is abusive.
She might just not like his style. But there is enough of exactly
this kind of reaction that does go with abuse that I would like to see
every instance reported to those who hire and keep people employed who
work with children. If it's just a personality conflict, no harm
done. Grown ups should be able to handle that. But if not, it will
be crucial to have an accurate picture of just how many kids don't
want to be with this coach, and it is even good information to know
that they don't want to say why.

I have to agree with Paula. The first thing that jumped out at me is this
*could* be abuse. It probably isn't. You should definitely let them know
your concern that your daughter doesn't get along with the coach. They might
be willing to make sure that your daughter can find a time slot that works
for her without him being in the picture, too.

You definitely need to let them know. It could be one of those silly things
that kids just don't take a liking to someone, an innocent personality
conflict or something sinister.

Jeff

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,