Old September 3rd 03, 04:02 PM
Melissa

Default bf help for women with large breasts

The amount you get from the pump has nothing to do with how much milk you're
making.

DD is nearly five months old and is exclusively breast fed. However, in 20
minutes I can pump no more than two oz. (total) from both breasts (i.e. the
total amount pumped is 2 oz.). I can do a bit better with the Avent Isis but
it still takes a long time. OTOH, DD is quite plump, happy and growing
nicely. Babies sometimes need to nurse much more often than it says in the
books. DD went three weeks nursing every hour when she was awake (at about
three months) and is still on a 1.5-2 hour schedule most of the time.

Trust that your body is making enough for your child and stop supplementing
so that you don't lose your supply. Good luck!

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

"Alberta" wrote in message
ink.net...
Is there something special that a woman with large breasts needs to be

aware
of when breastfeeding? I am having a lot of trouble with my 4 week old.
I've had to supplement since day 5, and I want to stop but she is always
hungry, so I keep having to give her formula, about 6 ounces a day! I am
sure she's getting some milk, but my Ameda Purely Yours pump gets just a
trickle out of me when I try to pump. I have to go back to work in a few
weeks so pumping is important. I've been to the LCs twice and they say
things are fine but that is under intense, controlled conditions. I've

been
having to nurse her every hour during the day....she sleeps well at night
and I've been told not to wake her up so I don't, but she goes 4-6 hours
without eating at night.

Alberta