Old January 10th 06, 06:00 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default Factor V Leiden/Clotting Disorder & Epidural

I cannot make a decision. Does anyone else out there have similar
experience? I would love to know what you did.

so what would they do if you were to need an emergency c-section, would they
put you out with a general anaesthetic? If so I think I would want to have
one in place, because I wouldn't want to be knocked out to give birth unless
it was vital. I've heard of it being possible to put the epidural in, but
not put any drugs in it, you might consider that as an option?

You may also get a good idea what you are wanting after labour has started,
if you are managing things, but are told you are only 1cm dilated you might
feel very differently to if you were told you were 7cm. Or, things might
start very violently, such that you can't cope at all right from the start.
What seems to be normal is for people to cope at the start and then the
point at which they are begging for an epidural is when it is already too
late as it is transition. Also, if you end up being induced for any reason,
you may want to consider it then, as there is a much higher chance of it
being long, or particularly painful, or ending in a c-section.

Personally I've had 2 births with epidurals, the first was an induction in
which I tried to go naturally, but reacted so violently to the drugs that I
was hyperstimulated and was getting quadruple peaked contractions, that was
enough for me to say I would never have that drug without an epidural
already being placed, the 2nd time was planned due to other issues, but had
it not been planned I suspect that with the violent onset that I experienced
I would either have had one, or had the baby before there was time.

I know this is not direct experience, but I hope it might help, there is
also a web page somewhere (which I unfortunately cannot locate just now)
with a really good summary of the pros and cons, it might help you to decide
if you would actually be thankful for having the option taken away from you.

The other thing I thought of was what will the whole birth situation be
like, will they insist on continuous monitoring or anything? basically any
interventions hinder your ability to manage, will the heparin injection be
via IV, or IM, will they insist you have a line placed already, all these
kind of things can influence whether you think you can do it.

Anne