Old November 21st 04, 01:26 AM
Dave Thompson

"Graham" wrote in message
m...
QDurham wrote:

BTW, schools TODAY are more like something from the old USSR, with
their attempts at thought control, discouragment of individual
achievement, vigorous suppression of any hint of Christian influences,
among other things...

This has got to be a troll.

The usual easy escape...don't bother addressing the point (which
is based on facts), just discount it as a troll.

I suspect it was the "Christian" part that got your little panties
in a wad. I'm all for separation of church and state, but it's
a fact that any mention anything Christian in public schools now
causes immediate ape-**** reaction by the leftists who run them.

Only because of an equal ape **** reaction from the Fundy crowd (please note
that I am distinguishing them from all Christians) who are forcing prayer in
school, creationism, and bible study issues through the political arena.
After a while it gets old and you wonder what it is they don't understand
about teaching their own children their religious beliefs and leaving others
out of it.

Don't forget Q, this is still a very Christian nation (over 85%).

That is broken down into hundreds of sects and factions that don't agree.
Since these groups belittle each other for the rights to other people's
souls, it really is unrealistic to claim that we are Christian and have it
mean anything. As far as evangelicals are concerned, they are the only real
Christians and they don't even amount to 15% of that 85%. Heck, if you look
it up you'd find that the largest single denomination is Roman Catholic,
that those that are unbelievers, unchurched, and unworshiping Christians are
the fastest growing group in the country.

This nation was founded by men who (most of them anyway) belonged
to the faith.

That's specious, too. Many were Unitarians (who the evangelicals loath) and
none were of the faith who are the biggest abusers of the idea that we are a
Christian nation. Don't forget that these founders were concerned with
religious freedom not only because that's why the original colonists
arrived, but also because they were seeing almost every state trying to
establish it's own state church. I doubt if the founders were alive today
and running for office that the conservative Christians would support their
politics at all and would surely denounce their religion.

Every single piece of coinage and paper money minted
has "In God We Trust" on it.

That did not happen untill 1863 on some coins, was halted in 1865, was
restored on some coins in 1908, and did not become an offical motto until
1956. And it was hardly done by the people's vote.

Congress opens each session with
a prayer to the Judeo-Christian God, so get over it and take
a reality check.

What you need to get over is that some people take offense to attempts of
the religious conservatives to slowly infuse this country with their beliefs
and try to use the government to endorse their religion. People have a right
in this country to believe or not believe as they see fit, and for those of
us who object to the religious and political doctrine of evangelicals,
reformationists, and fundamentalists being foisted upon us through
government, we have a right to point it out as it happens. Ask yourself, is
school prayer really about freedom of religion for the children of
evangelicals, or is it about proselytization of those of us who are not
believers? I don't think it's too much to ask to leave worship out of the
curriculum of our public schools. There are many other places and
opportunities where it is available.