Old May 25th 04, 01:32 PM
Sophie

Default Sick of the horror stories!

H,
My husband is a very sensible person, and as I started hearing horror
stories literally immediately upon telling people I am pregnant (one
woman: "How wonderful! Congratulations! One of my twins was born blue
with the cord around his neck and apgar zero!" Ack! *This* is the
congratulations I get??) he keeps saying to me, "Everything you hear is
anecdotal." Which is true! Just because it was their experience doesn't
mean that it will be my experience.

Very true.

As long as my doctor keeps saying
everything is fine I'll just say "That must have been horrible for you!"
when I hear these stories and go my merry way.

Good advice.

I bet if you had the
opportunity to interview other mothers who used the birth center you'd
find that the majority of them had happy experiences with no
problems....otherwise, how could the center stay in business?

Hehe, true.

Congratulations on your great pregnancy. I'm sure you'll do fine.
Mothers who tell horror stories are like old soldiers comparing war
wounds...they have a common bond forged in the heat of battle. They're
just welcoming you into the club, in a rather scary, indelicate way.
Just remember that the boring, normal labor stories, just like the
stories from the troops who don't see much action, aren't as exciting to
tell

Best,
Rebecca

Lol! love it!

I had a crappy 3rd birth but I'd hardly tell that to *anyone* unless they
asked, and certainly not a first time mom. My births won't be her births so
what's the point in freaking her out?

Sophie
#4 due July 7, 2004