Old November 3rd 03, 03:59 PM
Valerie Rake

Default What to expect at 12-week appointment?

J wrote:

"Dagny" wrote

Measuring tape.

Are you serious, that's what they use??ugh...

They just use it to measure the outside of your belly, from the bottom
of the curve of your bump to the top. FWIW, my OB didn't do this until
my 6th month or so. Too hard to distinguish the baby bump (fundus) from
the belly fat, I guess. They did palpate my belly/bump before that,
just to get a sense of where the fundus was.

Valerie

Shouldn't this be about what *you* want? Is this what you want?

Yeah, I misspoke that...they would want to do them at this time if I agree.
They don't push them but they inform you a lot that they are available. I
doubt I'll do them.

Weight, urine. They may try to hear the baby with a Doppler ultrasound
device. Warning, this will probably make you very nervous if they can't
find the heartbeat yet.

snip They do it at 18-20

weeks' gestation because abortion at that point is still legal.

I didn't even know that abortion was legal past the 1st trimester. (except
in case where mother'slife is in danger). I know nothing about abortion.
Regular ob's don't do them, do they? (I'm not considering one, don't worry!
Just curious)...I thought you had to go to a clinic. As I said I know
nothing about abortion.

Parents flock to the second trimester ultrasound because of the sex
determination, however.