Old July 23rd 08, 03:15 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Kat

Default OB app't

"NL" wrote in message
Kat schrieb:
snip
I know someone earlier recommended a book about tandem nursing/nursing
while PG, but I just really don't have the time or ability to sit down
and read a book. I just don't have that luxury anymore LOL

I read while nursing in bed. It's the only thing I can do during that time
except sleep, maybe that's an option, just a thought, because I thought
I'd never be able to read again back when Sam was still little.

DD2 nurses seldom. Usually first thing in the morning, sometimes before
nap time, on occasion before supper, guaranteed each time she's
sad/hurt/whatever and before bed.
Rather than just cut her off completely, I've just sort of not offered.
I haven't asked her if she wants to nurse, but if she asks, we do nurse.
She's 21 months in just a couple days now. She asks for boobies and gets
them, but I no longer ask her if she wants, so I find that I offer more
than she asks. Should I just let her wean completely like that? Or
should I keep going and offering? She never turns down an offer

Personally I'd keep nursing if you fell comfortable with the thought of
possibly tandem nursing. If you feel kind of meh about that I'd see about
her weaning "on her own" with a little help from you, i.e. offering
something else instead of nursing when she's sad/hurt/whatever. I'd just
offer cuddles/reading a book or something and if she insists on nursing
I'd still nurse, but if she's ok with your alternative that might be worth
a shot.
Once the baby's here it might be really hard for her to wean if you decide
tandem nursing is not for you (then again it might not be, sadly kids
don't come with a manual though I sure wish there was a FAQ section).

cu
nicole

Well, DD2 is still my "baby" - of all of them, she's the only one that is
clingy, needy... I still can't usually walk out of the room without her
being a little less than impressed... I'm sure I baby her, or something
(everyone points out what a big suck she is lol!) and I know DS completely
self weaned around 18 months. He was the longest (aside from DD2) with
nursing. The others don't care if I'm here or there. They never did. I
could easily leave them or walk out of the room and they wouldn't care -
DD2, OTOH, is completely opposite! I do enjoy the nursing still.
I can't see it being a huge deal to keep going, if I/DD2 wants to - if it
was a huge issue, I'd think that my OB would stop in her tracks, tell me to
stop and tell me why to stop - which she didn't do. She just said stop, end
of story.
Sometimes DD2 does get a little... interesting... She's known to pull at my
shirt, and sometimes draw a big scene about it lol I hear enough of
"BOOBIE!" and have enough of her pulling at me to help herself that it's a
pain to not do it - and I do still enjoy it. She's the only really cuddly
one at this point, still, and it gives me an opportunity to (obviously) keep
an eye on her, sit down, relax and have her calm down too.
Maybe I'll just keep going with the not offer/not refuse idea. It seems to
go fairly well and it's fairly easy. It's not like she's still relying on
breast milk for her main or only source of nutrition.