Old August 10th 06, 05:28 PM posted to misc.kids,rec.scouting.usa,alt.parenting.solutions,alt.rec.camping,rec.outdoors.camping
Banty

Default A disconnect at camp

In article .com, Barbara
says...

greccogirl wrote:
L. wrote:
greccogirl wrote:

My god, what the children of the world do, before cell phones? I guess
they were just abused by having to go to camp without a phone! ROTFLMAO

A lot of them got in trouble and had no way to contact anyone for help.
I want my child to have the means to contact me anytime, anywhere,
regardless of anyone else's policies.

-L.

A lot of them? Doubtful! I went to camp all my life and never "got
into trouble". I didn't know anyone who did! A child doesn't need a
cell phone at camp, unless they are too immature to be there in the
first place, or possibly his parents are too immature to let their kid
out of their sight.

Well, aren't you lucky! You never met anyone who was bullied at camp.
Or who was placed with a group of kids who smoked/did drugs/were
sexually promiscuous, and really didn't know how to get out of the
situation. Had a counselor who harrassed them, or left the kids on
their own while going out to smoke/yadda yadda. Was abused or
molested. Otherwise faced a situation that s/he couldn't handle on
his/her own. Well, that doesn't mean that those things don't happen,
or that kids should be forced to face those things without parental
assistance.

So - what - the kid at camp will call Mommy or Daddy from his handy little cell
(which, of course, is left in his hands by said bullies or miscreants), and
they'll come flying like eagles to his side to Save Their Child?? (Or, maybe
teleportation has been discovered - part of the new Wireless World we're in, and
they'll just BEAM over!)

Or does it seem more reasonable that these problems be reported by the kid to
his camp counsellors and/or his parents for further action? Including pulling
them out of a bad camp environment if necessary.

Really, this is all about the Invisible Electronic Umbilical Chord, and
Momma-Bears and Papa-Bears pinning that Concerned Parent Merit Badge on their
aprons and suits.

I think it may also be that Ubiquitous Cell Phone Culture, where every "do you
want skirt steak or london broil tonight" or "well, look in your sock drawer for
them - did you ask your dad where you left them" question HAS to be asked and
answered IMMEDIATELY or Life Falls Apart.

I don't believe that cell phones are *necessary* for all kids who goes
to overnight camp. Indeed, there's probably a lot to be said for
cutting that cord. OTOH, I don't think that Lyn's position is out of
line, overprotective, or otherwise ridiculous. IIRC, her son is now
about 2 years old, so I don't think that overnight camp is imminent.
However, whomever said that when the time comes -- if it comes -- she
should seek out a camp that permits cell phones (and they do exist) is
correct; that's what I would do.

Naw, it's a silly position, no surprise from the author. Mamma Bear Supreme.

I put these objections into the same category as the complaints from speeding
drivers "but whattif I had my laboring wife about to have a baby". It's
unlikely, and silly anysay (pros should be transporting).

The reason why cell phones are often banned is because it impacts the camp
environment and atmosphere to have kids IMing and yammering at each other across
the camp. As well as needing to cut that invisible umbilical chord for some
little time - it's called growing up!

Although an *alternate* policy is "no cell phones visibie". That is, the child
can have a cell for calling home in true emergencies, or after camp, or in case
there is a need to shut down the camp early. So - they can carry the cell, but
if it's out (and there's no accepted reason for it to be out; if it's out, it's
assumed that it's out for use), it gets confiscated. No, not just for the day.
That's what my son's daycamp, and his school district, has.

So, would a policy like that make folks feel more comfortable?

Banty