Old September 27th 03, 01:49 PM
Naomi Pardue

Default Tough decision - Elective C or not ?

Consultant has given us the choice :-

1. Elective C-section at 39 weeks.
2. Induce at 40 weeks.

Having read all the comments, (and seconding strongly the suggestion to just
wait to let your wife go into labor and then have a c-section IF NECESSARY if
it turns out that the baby turns out to be too big to birth vaginally)... just
one more question...

if the consultant is pushing (no pun intended) for a c-section... why do it at
39 weeks? Why not wait until 40 weeks?
At least that way you can be relatvelysure that baby is 'fully cooked.' And if
she goes into labor before then... so what? So you either go ahead and try a
labor and see what happens, or you go ahead with the planned section a little
ahead of schedule. Does'nt this provide problems with larger babies anyway?
I'e'
forceps or ventouse delivery? Not what we want either....

I guess I'm a little puzzled as to why you are ok with an elective c-section
but 'don't want' a forceps birth. Surely the c-section is FAR more invasive
than a pair of forceps...

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)