Old January 23rd 04, 05:33 PM
Melissa

Default Fist Sucking?

"HollyLewis" wrote
If you don't have much of a daily routine or schedule, you may want to

develop
one now. Since he's gaining well, there's no reason you can't give it a

try.
Pay attention to when he really eats hungrily for a few days, and when he

falls
asleep most easily, and build your schedule around that. The advantage is

that
if he seems uncomfortable, or does something you can't interpret, you'll

have a
much better idea of whether he's hungry, tired, or something else based on

what
time it is, and know what to try first.

....or you may find no schedule at all. I tracked DD's feeding and sleeping
and we didn't have any sleeping schedule (other than bedtime, night feed and
waking) until about four months and didn't have a feeding schedule until
about nine months (when she, finally, started solids). Some babies will fall
into a schedule more readily than others. DD was still eating as frequently
as 1.5 hours at eight months and her napping schedule was erratic. In fact,
her napping schedule is still somewhat erratic because it depends on how
much she slept the night before.

What I'm saying is, if he doesn't have an innate schedule, you could try
putting him on one, but don't get stressed out if you don't have much of one
for a long time. Eventually you'll have some semblance of a schedule so you
can actually plan things. Even then, there's always at least one mom at each
of my various groups who calls to say that they'll be late because baby is
sleeping longer than expected.
--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03