Old February 24th 05, 03:29 PM

Bruce Bridgman and Jeanne Yang wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

The Ranger wrote:
toto wrote in message
news Any anecdotes?

"Yeah? My child's not going to Harvard and is doing an hour in

each
subject per day. He has six classes and three electives; you do

the
math."

Okay, I don't want to say that it's legitimate to do your kid's
homework, but if you have six subjects, an hour of homework in each

is
going to leave no time for anything in the child's life but

schoolwork
and sleep.

Then obviously something has to give - usually a class. Rarely (or

has
things really changed that much) do schools require six classes and

three
electives. Drop an elective or two. But even if this is the case, I

don't
think heavy coursework is a legitimate reason for parents to do their

children's homework.

No, I don't think so either, but notice I said "an hour of homework in
six subjects" - I wasn't even counting the electives. If a kid was
really doing six hours of homework a night, getting home 3ish from
school, that means that with eating/washing/etc. it'd be 10 PM and time
for bed with no time for anything else but homework.

I am of course assuming the parent's claim was accurate, and even in
that situation I wouldn't do my child's homework, but that doesn't seem
like a workable situation.

Beth