Old February 24th 05, 03:53 PM
Ruth Baltopoulos

"Bruce Bridgman and Jeanne Yang" wrote:

: wrote:

: The Ranger wrote:

: toto wrote:

: Any anecdotes?

: "Yeah? My child's not going to Harvard and is doing an
hour in each
: subject per day. He has six classes and three
electives; you do the
: math."

: Okay, I don't want to say that it's legitimate to do
your kid's
: homework, but if you have six subjects, an hour of
homework in each is
: going to leave no time for anything in the child's life
but schoolwork
: and sleep.

: Then obviously something has to give - usually a class.
Rarely (or has
: things really changed that much) do schools require six
classes and three
: electives. Drop an elective or two. But even if this is
the case, I don't
: think heavy coursework is a legitimate reason for parents
to do their
: children's homework.

I have heard of this homework nightmare from others in my
town, but my teenagers must be attending a different school,
because I have *never* seen the amount of homework lamented
about smile, and if I had, I definitely would have
addressed it with the Superintendent and Principals. Many,
many parents have vocalized to me that they have no life in
the evenings as they sit with their children while they
do/help them with their homework boggle!

Here is my strategy: I provide a place for homework to be
done and access to computers. I ask if it has been
completed (sometimes). I stay in touch with the school
(PTO, Conferences, Open Houses, School Committee) and
teachers are aware that I am interested in knowing of any
challenges or foibles. The end.

I can comfortably say that I have *never* done my children's
schoolwork or projects (and in this town it is obvious who
is doing the work at functions such as the Science Fair). I
am *always* available to answer questions, brainstorm ideas,
help clear up confusing assignments, or attempt to point
them in the right direction. I refuse to make excuses for
them to their teachers, or cover for them when they have not
prioritized or managed their time correctly.

Hey, I already went through school and did all my own
homework; I am *so* not interested in another round
--
Ruth