Old March 23rd 07, 05:04 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated
Larry Mcmahan

Default potty training

In article .com,
says...
hi, i have a son who is 6 yrs old and was potty trained at the age of
26mths, he was no trouble at all, he took to it immediatly. although i
say potty trained, he actually used the toilet. which obviously made
it easier for when we was out that he would be able to use the toilet
anywhere. But, my daughter is 23mths now, and is due to start play
school in may. but children have to be "dry" before they can start. i
may sound stupid, but my son was sleeping in a junior bed when he
trained so he was able to get out of bed and use the toilet. my
daughter is still in a cot, and i am concerned as to how i should
start training her to use the potty/toilet. i dont want to push her
before she is ready, but at the same time i dont want her to miss out
of playschool. As i feel building relationships with other children,
and learning the simple things like to share, is important.
I really am unsure as to what i should do. if anyone has any ideas i
would love to hear from you.
thanks.

Hi. This is the first post in this ng I have seen in a while.

I have some ideas, but they are just that and not guaranteed to work...

First, I think it is useful to separate daytime training from nighttime
training in your mind, and perhaps to also separate wetting from
elimination, although you often doing the same thing works for multiple
goals...

One thing that we found effective (especially from 1 1/2 yrs to 2 1/2
years was to let them run around the house (or yard!) naked. This gave
them more awareness (and control) over when they had to go. Beyond
that, in our case, it was just a question of letting the child take the
lead.

How much awareness does your DD have now? Does she tell you when her
diapers are wet during the day? Does she ever tell you when she has
to pee. Usually they control this first. As for elimination, we have
found that having their bottom bare while they are learning is the
quickest, easiest, and in the long run, less messy way to go.

The reason I suggest this is that I thing it is easier to do nighttime
training once they have been daytime trained, and they are often
capable of taking this step by themselves.

Hope this helps,
Larry