Old March 21st 05, 01:14 AM
Bob Whiteside

"Werebat" wrote in message
news:rEn%d.66044$7z6.61623@lakeread04...

Bob Whiteside wrote:
"Werebat" wrote in message
news:q1k%d.66018$7z6.21714@lakeread04...

This is the first chapter of an interesting book:

http://www.supportguidelines.com/book/chap1a.html

And it mentions an interesting idea:

"Some commentators believe that given the continually expansive role of
the federal government into heretofore matters of family law that were
the exclusive province of the states, it is surely only a matter of time
until the federal government adopts a national child support guideline
model."

I wonder if it might not be a GOOD thing for NCPs if the federal
government DID implement a national child support guideline model. Oh,
I'm sure it would be as unfair, clunky, and cumbersome as anything the
states have now, and you can be sure it would be based on
recommendations from Policy Studies, Inc... But it would also provide
the scattered men's rights groups with a unifying target to take aim
against, instead of keeping them divided and conquered. Instead of
trying to fight 50 different sets of state laws, they'd only be
challenging one (albeit federal) set of laws.

We already have a national CS guideline model. The program started in

1974
with passage of Title IV-D of the Social Security Act that tied together

Aid
to Dependent Children and CS. In 1984 Congress added services to

non-ADC
family CS laws. In 1988 Congress passed the Family Support Act adding
paternity establishment, use of CS guidelines, mandatory income

withholding,
and periodic review of CS orders. In 1996 ADC was replaced with TANF,

and
changes were made to paternity establishment, use of locator services,

added
enforcement tools, and rules on how collects would be dispersed.

2/3 of the costs of implementing the CS guideline system are paid for by

the
federal government. Federal incentive payments to the states reward
additional money to the states for compliance with federal CS programs.

We
have federal laws regarding felonies for crossing state lines to avoid
paying CS, we have a federal $4 billion computer system to track

everyone
who works, we have federal systems to track interstate CS orders, and we
have international treaties that facilitate enforcement of international

CS
orders.

Anyone advocating for more federal involvement in CS, like a federal
standardized CS amount, is asking for more problems than we have

already.
At least the current system allows for local state input into the

guideline
dollar amounts. There is already too much federal involvement in the CS
guidelines.

Which breaks them apart into 50 little petty fiefs that men must try to
organize themselves against. Imagine if they could pool their resources
against just ONE.

Have you considered that advocating this change to marriage law (which
includes things like divorce, SS, and CS) is a constitutional issue that
would alter current states' rights?