Old August 25th 03, 10:25 PM
Cathy Weeks

Default No more LAM, thoughts on IUD

OSPAM (Naomi Pardue) wrote in message ...
but the copper IUDs
cause periods to be heavier and more painful than they would otherwise have
been.

Actually, I was JUST going to post a question about IUDs.
We've been using condoms for a few years now, and I've been considering asking
my gyn about switching to an IUD. My concern is that my periods have been real
weird lately (infrequent and heavy, with lots of spotting in between.) Will an
IUD make this worse? Anyone know? I will certainly ask the doc about it at my
appointment (tomorrow!), but experiences are always welcome. I can probably
live with heavier periods, since they ARE infrequent, but don't really need
more spotting.
(Progesterone-only, like in the hormone IUDs tends to increase spotting,
right?)

No, I don't think so. Progesterone IUDs tend to lessen bleeding,
rather than increase it. The amount of progesterone is TINY, and not
taken systemically (though I'm sure some does get into your system).

You'll probably spot a little bit at first, on and off for a couple of
weeks. But once your body gets accustomed to it, it shouldn't change
things much.

The only drawback of mine, is that sometimes Chris can feel it during
sex, and it can be uncomfortable. But that's only occasionally, and a
position change takes care of it.

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01