Old September 22nd 04, 10:22 PM
Marie

Default Scared about tomorrow.

I keep telling myself I'm being paranoid, but it's not helping.

My boys will be 17mos old tomorrow: subtract 9 weeks for their prematurity
and they're still 15mos. But they're not talking: at all. And I can't
tell how much they understand either. They scream, grunt and babble in full
sentences, but no words.

Back in June, when they were at a neo-natal follow-up, the pediatrician
pegged them at 14mos (their actual age) for their motor skills, 12mos (their
corrected age) as far as social skills and problem-solving went, and at
about 10mos for communication skills. At the time, he emphasized the "do
not worry" approach, saying that we should get on the waiting list for a
speech pathology assessment, but the problem would "...almost certainly..."
clear itself up.

So tomorrow they go for hearing tests, and next month we're likely to get a
call from the speech pathologist for an appointment. And I haven't noticed
any change in their comunication since June.

I want to know what's going on, but I don't want to know there is something
wrong with my babies. Does that make sense?

Marie
Chris and Alex--born 04/23/03 at 31wks gestational :-)